Basement Seepage - Gumbo 63005
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.
What People Say About Us
It has now been a year since having this work done, and things are in good shape...as you'd expect.