Basement Water Seepage - Dittmer 63023
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.
What People Say About Us
It has now been a year since having this work done, and things are in good shape...as you'd expect.