Basement Water Seepage - 63121
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.
What People Say About Us
It has now been a year since having this work done, and things are in good shape...as you'd expect.