Basement Water Seepage - Allenton 63001
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.