Basement Seepage - Allenton, MO 63001
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.