Basement Water Seepage - 63001
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.