Basement Water Seepage - Allenton, MO 63001
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.