Basement Seepage - 63033
It is vital to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.