Basement Water Seepage - Black Jack 63033
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.