Basement Seepage - Black Jack 63033
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.