Basement Seepage - Black Jack 63033
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.