Basement Seepage - Black Jack, Missouri 63033
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.