Basement Seepage Repair - 63044
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.