Basement Water Seepage - 63044
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.