Basement Water Seepage - Bridgeton 63044
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.