Basement Water Seepage - Bridgeton, MO 63044
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.