Basement Seepage - 63044
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.