Basement Seepage - Bridgeton, MO 63044
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.