Basement Seepage - Bridgeton, Missouri 63044
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.