Basement Water Seepage - Bridgeton 63044
It is crucial to identify basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.