Basement Water Seepage - Burke City 63135
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.