Basement Water Seepage - Burke City 63135
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.