Basement Seepage - 63135
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.