Basement Seepage - Charlack, Missouri 63114
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.