Basement Seepage Repair - 63114
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.