Basement Water Seepage - Charlack, MO 63114
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.