Basement Seepage Repair - 63114
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.