Basement Water Seepage - Charlack 63114
It is vital to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.