Basement Seepage - 63114
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.