Basement Seepage Repair - 63005
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.