Basement Seepage - Clarkson Valley, MO 63005
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately handled, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.