Basement Water Seepage - 63005
It is vital to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.