Basement Seepage - Clarkson Valley, Missouri 63005
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.