Basement Water Seepage - Crystal City, Missouri 63019
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.