Basement Seepage Repair - 63019
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.