Basement Seepage - Crystal City 63019
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.