Basement Seepage - Crystal City, MO 63019
It is vital to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.