Basement Water Seepage - Crystal City, MO 63019
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.