Basement Seepage - Dittmer, Missouri 63023
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.