Basement Seepage - Dittmer, MO 63023
It is vital to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.