Basement Water Seepage - Dittmer, MO 63023
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.