Basement Water Seepage - Dittmer, MO 63023
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.