Basement Seepage Repair - Earth City, MO 63045
It is vital to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.