Basement Seepage - Earth City, MO 63045
It is vital to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.