Basement Seepage Repair - Earth City, Missouri 63045
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.