Basement Water Seepage - Earth City, Missouri 63045
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.