Basement Seepage Repair - Earth City 63045
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.