Basement Water Seepage - Earth City 63045
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.