Basement Water Seepage - Earth City, Missouri 63045
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.