Basement Seepage - Earth City, MO 63045
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.