Basement Seepage - Earth City, Missouri 63045
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.