Basement Seepage - Earth City, Missouri 63045
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.