Basement Seepage - Ferguson, MO 63136
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.