Basement Water Seepage - 63136
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.