Basement Water Seepage - Ferguson, MO 63136
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.