Basement Seepage - 63136
It is crucial to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.