Basement Water Seepage - Firstar Bank, Missouri 63195
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.