Basement Seepage - Firstar Bank, MO 63195
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.