Basement Seepage Repair - Firstar Bank 63195
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.