Basement Water Seepage - 63195
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.