Basement Seepage - Firstar Bank, MO 63195
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.