Basement Seepage - Florissant, Missouri 63031
It is important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.