Basement Seepage - 63031
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.