Basement Seepage - Greendale 63133
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.