Basement Seepage Repair - Gumbo, MO 63005
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.