Basement Seepage - Gumbo 63005
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.