Basement Seepage - 63005
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.