Basement Water Seepage - Gumbo 63005
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.