Basement Seepage - Hazelwood, Missouri 63044
It is crucial to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.