Basement Water Seepage - Hazelwood, MO 63044
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.