Basement Water Seepage - 63044
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.