Basement Seepage Repair - Hazelwood, Missouri 63044
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.