Basement Seepage - Hazelwood, MO 63044
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.