Basement Seepage - Hazelwood 63044
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.