Basement Seepage - Hazelwood, Missouri 63044
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.