Basement Water Seepage - Hazelwood, Missouri 63044
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.