Basement Seepage - Hazelwood, Missouri 63044
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.