Basement Water Seepage - Hazelwood, Missouri 63044
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.