Basement Seepage - Herculaneum, Missouri 63048
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.