Basement Seepage - 63048
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.