Basement Seepage - Herculaneum, MO 63048
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.