Basement Water Seepage - Imperial, MO 63052
It is crucial to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.