Basement Water Seepage - Imperial, MO 63052
It is important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.