Basement Water Seepage - Imperial, MO 63052
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.