Basement Water Seepage - Imperial, Missouri 63052
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.