Basement Seepage - Imperial, MO 63052
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.