Basement Water Seepage - 63026
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.