Basement Water Seepage - Saint John, Missouri 63114
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.