Basement Seepage Repair - 63114
It is vital to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.