Basement Seepage Repair - Saint John 63114
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.