Basement Seepage - Saint John 63114
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.