Basement Water Seepage - Saint John, MO 63114
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.