Basement Seepage - Saint John 63114
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.