Basement Seepage - Saint John 63114
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.