Basement Seepage - Saint John 63114
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.