Basement Water Seepage - Saint John, MO 63114
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.