Basement Seepage - Saint John, MO 63114
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.