Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63103
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.