Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis, MO 63103
It is vital to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.