Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63103
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.