Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63103
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.