Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis, MO 63103
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.