Basement Seepage Repair - 63103
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.