Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63103
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.