Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis, Missouri 63103
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.