Basement Seepage Repair - 63103
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.