Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63104
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.