Basement Seepage - 63104
It is vital to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.