Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63104
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.