Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63104
It is crucial to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.