Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63104
It is important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.