Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63122
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.