Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63123
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.