Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63123
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.