Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63123
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.