Basement Water Seepage - 63123
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.