Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis 63123
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.