Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63132
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.