Basement Seepage - 63132
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.