Basement Seepage - 63132
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.