Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63143
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.