Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63143
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.