Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63143
It is crucial to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.