Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis 63143
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.