Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63143
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.