Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63143
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.