Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63143
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.