Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63143
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.