Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63143
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.