Basement Water Seepage - 63158
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.