Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63158
It is vital to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.