Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63158
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.