Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63158
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.