Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63158
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.