Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63158
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.