Basement Seepage - 63158
It is vital to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.