Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63158
It is vital to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.