Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis, Missouri 63160
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.