Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63160
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.