Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis 63160
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.