Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63160
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.