Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63160
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.