Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63160
It is important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.