Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63167
It is vital to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.