Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis, MO 63167
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.