Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63167
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.