Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63167
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.