Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63167
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.