Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63179
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.