Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63179
It is crucial to identify basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.