Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63179
It is vital to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.