Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63179
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This is another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.