Basement Water Seepage - 63179
It is vital to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.