Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, MO 63179
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.