Basement Seepage Repair - Saint Louis, Missouri 63179
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.