Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63182
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.