Basement Seepage Repair - 63182
It is vital to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.