Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63182
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.