Basement Seepage - Saint Louis 63182
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.