Basement Water Seepage - Saint Louis 63182
It is very important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.