Basement Seepage - Saint Louis, Missouri 63182
It is crucial to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.