Basement Water Seepage - Sherman, MO 63021
It is crucial to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.