Basement Seepage - Sherman, Missouri 63021
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.