Basement Seepage - 63021
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.