Basement Water Seepage - Sherman, MO 63021
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.