Basement Seepage - Times Beach 63025
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.