Basement Seepage Repair - 63025
It is important to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.