Basement Water Seepage - U City, MO 63130
It is crucial to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.