Basement Seepage - U City, MO 63130
It is important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.