Basement Seepage - U City, Missouri 63130
It is very important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.