Basement Seepage - Univ City, MO 63130
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.