Basement Seepage - Univ City 63130
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.