Basement Seepage Repair - 63130
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.