Basement Seepage - Univ City 63130
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.