Basement Water Seepage - Valles Mines, Missouri 63020
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.