Basement Water Seepage - Valles Mines, Missouri 63020
It is vital to spot basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.