Basement Water Seepage - Valles Mines, MO 63020
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.