Basement Water Seepage - Valles Mines, MO 63020
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.