Basement Water Seepage - 63020
It is vital to recognize basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.