Basement Seepage - 63020
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.