Basement Seepage - Valles Mines 63020
It is very important to recognize basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.