Basement Water Seepage - Valles Mines 63020
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.