Basement Water Seepage - Vigus, MO 63042
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.