Basement Water Seepage - Vigus, Missouri 63042
It is very important to identify basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.