Basement Seepage - Vigus, MO 63042
It is vital to spot basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often neglected, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to recognize basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the wall implies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to schedule an appointment.