Basement Seepage - Vigus, MO 63042
It is crucial to identify basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration towards the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This can be another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.