Basement Seepage - Webster Groves, Missouri 63119
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage at your house at an early stage. Damp basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, dark brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This can be another sign of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.