Basement Seepage - Webster Groves 63119
It is important to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the walls signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.