Basement Water Seepage - Webster Groves, MO 63119
It is crucial to recognize basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Damp basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure might be flaking or peeling. This is another indicator of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not promptly dealt with, there could be erosion and cracking from underneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.