Basement Seepage - Webster Groves 63119
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed early on.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or cracking. This is another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not promptly taken care of, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.