Basement Seepage - Webster Groves 63119
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining towards the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It could be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.