Basement Seepage Repair - 63119
It is vital to identify basement issues with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Moist basements are a widespread occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It could be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your house. If the problem is not immediately handled, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly advised to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.