Basement Water Seepage - 63119
It is important to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are some ways to discover basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, dark brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another indication of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your house. If the issue is not quickly handled, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.