Basement Water Seepage - Webster Groves, Missouri 63119
It is important to recognize basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Wet basements are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to discover basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out everything you have kept in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you may see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Staining near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not immediately handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.