Basement Water Seepage - Webster Groves 63119
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements really are a common occurrence, and often ignored, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Turn on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you might see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or cracking. This can be another indication of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for termites to flourish in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly taken care of, there might be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.