Basement Seepage Repair - 63021
It is crucial to spot basement problems with water seepage in your house at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out everything you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall signifies that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellow, and is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of water in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly taken care of, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please call us at 314-428-2324 for more details or to make an appointment.