Basement Water Seepage - Woodson Terrace, MO 63134
It is very important to spot basement issues with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements are a common occurrence, and often overlooked, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to recognize basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Turn on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the walls seep out.
3. Discoloration at the top of the wall means that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or cracking. This can be another indicator of water within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mildew decays everything in its vicinity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it can weaken the foundation of your property. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there might be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and discover basement problems of this nature before they worsen.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to make an appointment.