Basement Water Seepage - Woodson Terrace, Missouri 63134
It is very important to spot basement problems with water seepage at your home at an early stage. Moist basements really are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are a few ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellow, and it is usually noticed in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall might be flaking or cracking. This can be another sign of dampness in the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and may even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a good habitat for harmful termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the issue is not quickly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is strongly suggested to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.