Basement Seepage - Woodson Terrace, MO 63134
It is important to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements are a common occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you've got kept in the basement away from the wall surfaces and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of moisture.
2. Along the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, which means that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Staining at the top of the walls implies that the water is rising inside the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall could be flaking or cracking. This is another indicator of water inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A damp basement problem is a lot more than an annoyance and can be permanently damaging. Mold decays everything in its proximity and can even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a good habitat for termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not quickly handled, there may be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to make an appointment.