Basement Seepage - Woodson Terrace, MO 63134
It is crucial to spot basement issues with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Wet basements really are a widespread occurrence, and often disregarded, or go unnoticed in the beginning.
Here are some ways to identify basement problems with water seepage, before it gets to an advanced stage:
1. Clean out all the things you've got stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, concentrating on the corners. You'll be able to sport dark-looking areas- this is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Across the bottom of the wall, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This is efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the wall means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is yet another giveaway. It might be black, brown, green or yellowish, and is usually spotted in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure could be flaking or peeling. This is another sign of dampness within the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is more than an annoyance and can be permanently destructive. Mold decays everything in its vicinity and can even worsen the health of a resident with breathing problems or allergy symptoms. It also makes a great habitat for harmful termites to thrive in. Worst of all, it may weaken the foundation of your property. If the problem is not quickly handled, there could be erosion and cracking from below. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and identify basement problems of this nature before they intensify.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more info or to schedule an appointment.