Basement Water Seepage - Woodson Terrace, MO 63134
It is crucial to identify basement problems with water seepage in your own home at an early stage. Damp basements are a common occurrence, and often forgotten, or go unnoticed in early stages.
Here are a few ways to identify basement issues with water seepage, before it reaches an advanced stage:
1. Clear out all the things you have stored in the basement away from the walls and corners. Switch on your flashlight, focusing on the corners. You will be able to sport dark-looking areas- this really is mildew and mold, which is a sign of water.
2. Along the bottom of the walls, you could possibly see what seems like ice crystals. This can be efflorescence, meaning that water in the bottom blocks is making the alkaline materials of the wall seep out.
3. Discoloration near the top of the walls means that the water is rising within the wall, or that something is directing it to that particular level.
4. Mold is another giveaway. It may be black, brown, green or yellowish, and it is usually seen in the northwest corner.
5. The surface of the wall structure may be flaking or peeling. This can be another indication of dampness inside the concrete, stone, or brick.
A wet basement problem is a lot more than an aggravation and can be permanently destructive. Mildew decays everything in its proximity and might even worsen the health of a homeowner with breathing problems or allergies. It also makes a great habitat for termites to prosper in. Worst of all, it could weaken the foundation of your home. If the problem is not promptly dealt with, there may be erosion and cracking from beneath. For these reasons, it is highly recommended to try and recognize basement problems of this nature before they aggravate.
Please contact us at 314-428-2324 for more information or to schedule an appointment.